Tuesday 6 November 2012

Vintage Solid Granny Blanket - Wk 1- Tuesdays Tallies

It has been a while fellow knotters, a very slack blogger I have been! Since my last post, after moving house, we have also had a flying visit out to France to close up our holiday rental gite White Shutters for the winter. We also started extensive refurbishing of the kitchen.  Our old people carrier was loaded with kitchen carcass base units and a lovely new range cooker that was installed in the island unit in the kitchen. We only had 4 days but boy did we work hard, the pool is now hibernating, the Virginia Creeper cut back and the shutters closed for the winter hibernation. 12+ hours in the car each way and evenings in front of the wood burner means lots of crocheting time too. Look what I started about 3 weeks ago.
A square takes about 15 minutes...so a square can be hooked up whilst the rice cooks, a square in the car waiting for an appointment and before you know it there are...
113 squares...oh my gosh how did I make that many without realising? The colours even go with my lovely new Sandstripe Satchel too! I wonder if the colour influence was also in my subconscious?

I started with 6 each of 6 colours, took another 10 colours with me to France and have 10 each  of most of those colours. I will add a couple more colours possibly. This throw is totally inspired by Sandra's beautiful Giant Granny Throw over at Cherry Heart. I am making this for my mum for Christmas, to coordinate with a lovely patchwork quilt she made years ago. I am having to remember the colours but they seemed to be so similar to Sandra's that I am mainly just sticking with her brilliance in picking out colours. The yarn is all good old Stylecraft Special DK with just the gold from another brand. The square pattern is of course the wonderful Elmer square by Little Tin Bird
I knew I loved this square having made the Gingham Cushion back in the summer. This time the last round on all the suares will be in teal, and hopefully I can work out a suitable join as you go method that will work with the solid squares.

It was so nice hooking in fromt of the woodburner with bread, cheese and wine for supper after a hard day's graft!
It's a good job mum doesn't "do" computers so I am not spoiling the surprise! It's nice to be back on course with Tuesday's Tallies again, keep up the good work organising us "One a Day" Carole!

19 comments:

  1. Happy that you are back! Your colour choice for the squares is just gorgeous, I'm sure this will be another stunning blanket!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah thank you...I have a deadline, and mum is here next week so I will lose a few days too!

      Delete
  2. Love your colours - can't wait to see more of this blanket! Your cosy 'cheese and wine evenings' are making me miss France more than ever!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't forgotten...will write soon honest! F x

      Delete
  3. Ooh I think I need to speed up, don't think I could do one of those squares in 15 minutes! It's going to be a gorgeous blanket!
    Angie x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol...probably a "how big was the fish?" statement...more like 20 mins I suspect..they are only 4 rounds at present, 5th round will all be teal and join!

      Delete
  4. Gorgeous squares Fiona! Loving your colour choices!
    Victoria xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am agonising over another couple of colours...what to choose?

      Delete
  5. Wow, that's an impressive pile of gorgeous granny squares, you sure are speedy. I love the colours, very warm and cosy, and can I say that I adore that satchel. I am very jealous of that wood fire and even more so of the fact that you got to sit in front of it in France! Lovely post, I am very pleased to see you back in blog land :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, still trying to decide what another couple of colours should be...aster definitely (or denim) but I am not a shrimp fan but feel I need another brighter one. I was very lucky to win the satchel..they do a lovely matching weekend bag with wheels as well now!

      Delete
  6. Lovely! That pattern is on my 'to-do' list!!
    Karen x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You must, it is a very satisfying and neat square, looks smart I think!

      Delete
  7. Beautiful photos, I love your colour choice and can't wait to see the finished result.
    Thanks for sharing your talent with us.
    luv
    irene
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good morning,
    Just found your blog and love your crocheted edge on your pillow case..your work looks wonderful❤

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those squares are going to make a fab blanket....what would we all do without Stylecraft ??
    Good to see you are back blogging.Hope you are all settled in your new home now. I'm just back from a 2-week visit "home" to England-managed to get some crochet done on the ferry :)
    Looking forward to seeing your finished blanket (i'm not a "Shrimp" fan either !)
    Carole x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely colours, can't wait to see the finished result:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. WOW! You have been so busy! I must get some speed on things :)
    Looks really cosy - you are lucky!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your productivity is amazing and inspiring! I have made good progress on my blanket after trying the one-a-day you were talking about (nowhere near as speedy as you, but still). Look forward to seeing this blanket develop.
    Abigail x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ostras,
    Yo estoy haciendo la misma manta y ahora estoy uniendo los cuadros de la misma forma que tu!!!
    Qué casualidad!
    Cuando la tenga acabada te paso las fotos.
    Anna MP
    llannacuna.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Comments are very welcome, thank you for reading!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...