Friday 10 January 2014

Sock it to 'em - Jolly Socks - DONE!

It's that time of year with too much grey, so as an antidote to greyness meet some jolly bright socks.  Yes I have knitted at long last.
I couldn't find my trusty Opal top down sock leaflet that I normally use, so I Googled and chanced upon Susan Anderson's "How I make my socks" pattern. Perfect. I knitted these when recuperating from debilitating flu back in November, the first week of which I was incapable of knitting even!
This is an Opal 4 ply sock yarn I bought a couple of years ago but it has lost it's band. This pattern was quite intuitive, the ribbing around the heels was different, but the lay out on the needles meant no need for markers, no dropping little rubber loops down the sofa and muttering! I use KnitProSymfonie double pointed needles or dpns, well worth the investment in the one size you use for socks as they don't slip or clickity clack. A friend says she can't abide fiddling around with cocktail sticks but it is easier than it seems once the first round or two is done.
My kitchener stitch still isn't quite right for joining the toes, mine isn't invisible.
 I am most proud of matching the yarn on both socks. I am easily pleased.
Jolly socks have popped off to Holland as they were a Christmas present for my eldest daughter to wear in her boots when cycling in the snow. I just wish I had another ball so the sad third of a ball of yarn left wasn't sitting around. The morale of the tale is to always buy 2 balls of favourite sock yarn and you can make 3 pairs of socks!!

10 comments:

  1. Those socks look fab ! I am in awe of your sock knitting skills,having really struggled this week to get to grips with dpns and a pattern. I got in a pickle within just a few rows and had to put the damn things to one side to preserve my sanity :) I've looked at so many patterns,tutorials etc , I even bought a book from The Works and some lovely self-striping sock yarn by Drops, but it just feels so cack-handed......I feel really frustrated with the whole thing . Any tips that might help me would be so welcome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no Carole, that is sad. I must say starting off is horrendous, making sure the first round is not twisted and hanging onto everything for dear life the first couple of rounds. After that it gets MUCH easier, I promise, keep trying, I managed it so can you! Fiona x

      Delete
  2. They are amazing! You shall have to knit socks for a small person to use up the remaining yarn! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fab socks! Love the yarn you chose!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fab socks! I love the yarn you chose!

    ReplyDelete
  5. No snow in Holland yet;-) socks are great, very nice colours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True.....but plenty nippy enough to wear. I added the last picture of her at home wearing them as slipper socks.

      Delete
  6. Clever you, I really must learn to make socks. My sister makes them for me every Christmas and Birthday (at my request) but I would like to have enough to wear homemade socks every day.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are very welcome, thank you for reading!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...