Monday 14 January 2013

Crochet Cloche Hats

I loved the cloche hat that Lucy made on her blog, Attic 24 back in November. Although I am not overly fond of hats as they are claustrophobic and itchy! However, I thought they would be fun to make for our three lovely daughters for Christmas. I was not very sure they would like them and in the end I only just managed to make the hats.

My youngest is sporting a pomegranate and plum "special", in good ol Stylecraft Special DK. She was quite pleased with her main Christmas present I think, which wasn't the hat!! I may have finished the hat, but I hadn't finished the embellishments which were the running stitch band around the central narrow band of the main colour, and a big colorful flower with leaves. I gave them the chance to choose the colours and I was going to customise them to order over the holiday.
I made our eldest daughter one in denim and aster, I had to get her to send a pic after she returned home to Holland as she had missed a posed one on Christmas Day. I wish she lived closer, but cycling a lot in northern Holland means her ears will be warm. If she wears it that is.
The middle one got an individual cloche made out of Adriafil Knitcol, a self patterning yarn that I bought her last Christmas and promised super long over the knee socks, fingerless mitts and a hat. She got the super long socks in about February and they were posted up to uni in Newcastle, and now she has a hat. The fingerless mitts perhaps next Christmas?
I was concerned thet Lucy said she had a very small head, we have big heads and quite a lot of hair (well the girls do) so I did a couple of rounds extra and the hats are a little bit too big. None of them wanted embellishments which was a bit of a shame, I doubt they will wear them but I had fun. I may have to run one up and indulge my embellishment fantasies for myself?

7 comments:

  1. What beautiful daughters you have! I'm sure they'll wear their hats with pride, despite your reservations. You did a lovely job with them :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Fiona.. you have gorgeous daughters! I think they will wear them. And I think you need to make one for yourself with all the embellishments you dreamed of. ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely models for lovely hats Fiona!
    Angie x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think all the hats look great and whether worn or not I'm sure they'll be treasured. I definitely think you should do one for yourself, with LOTS of embellishment, then they'll want theirs done too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. hello fiona,
    wow......the hats are gorgeous!!!!!
    wish you a nice day,
    blessings regina

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your hats are lovely!! Now you've got me wanting to make hats too :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What wonderful hats! I think the colourful one is just perfect as it is but I understand your wish to embellish the others. Definitely make yourself one and have fun! Abigail x

    ReplyDelete

Comments are very welcome, thank you for reading!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...